Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Danny Thomas and the $1,000 Bill


"Have you ever seen a $1,000 bill?", Danny Thomas once asked me. 

It was at my UCLA buddy, Billy Perlberg's wedding in the late 1950s. I believe the ceremony was held at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I was one of the ushers and his daughter Marlo Thomas was one of the bridesmaids. When Danny Thomas came in, I greeted him, we chatted and he showed me the bill, his gift to the bride and groom.

Danny Thomas was a close friend of Billy's dad, film producer William Perlberg, Sr. who made many classic Hollywood movies including "A Miracle on 34th Street", "Song of Bernadette" and "Country Girl".  

I was a regular guest at the Perlberg homes (in LA and Palm Springs) and met many celebrity guests including Barbara Stanwyck, Dinah Shore and Jack Benny. Danny Thomas was a very nice guy with a great sense of humor. 

His photo here is from 1957, around the time that I met him. (Photos from Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment